Colfax Announces Support for Intel Xeon Scalable Processors
SUNNYVALE, Calif., July 11, 2017 - Colfax International, a leader provider of HPC and Data Center solutions, today announced broad and immediate availability of systems based on the new Intel Xeon Scalable processors, codenamed Skylake SP. This new addition to Colfax’s portfolio of server and workstation products seamlessly supports recent innovations in storage, networking and heterogeneous computing.
- Server and pedestal systems: Colfax will support all processor family types, namely Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze. Colfax will integrate these CPUs into Intel’s server building blocks. Both rack- and pedestal-optimized form factors are being offered.
- Performance improvement: Colfax’s new computing solutions feature up to 28 Intel cores per socket and come with 2-, 4- and 8-socket boards. Connected with the new Intel UPI and featuring an improved memory organization, new Intel Xeon Scalable processors achieve 45% and 50% greater bandwidth to remote and local memory, respectively, compared to the previous generation. Memory footprint over 1.5 TiB/socket is now supported. The Intel Xeon Scalable processor cores feature the new Intel AVX-512 instruction set, support higher clock frequencies in select CPU models and contains numerous architectural improvements.
- Storage technology: Colfax’s offerings will be enhanced with performance-boosting Intel solid-state drives (SSDs), including the drives with the new Intel Optane technology. This breakthrough storage solution uses the 3D XPoint memory to provide non-volatile data storage with performance and longevity previously found only in volatile memory: over 5x faster than PCIe SSDs and 60x faster than SATA SSDs (Aerospike DB).
- High-performance networking: The new servers offered by Colfax feature optional integrated Intel Omni-Path Fabric 100, which offers the same 100 Gbps bandwidth and sub-microsecond latency for high-performance networking as its discrete card implementation, only at a lower cost, lower power consumption and without the loss of PCIe lanes. The fabric is built from the ground up with the datacenter in mind, and as a consequence, its reliability features and scalability are prominent from small-scale to large-scale installations. As an alternative, multi-port 10 GbE network support offers high-performance networking with minimal impact on the datacenter software and infrastructure, making it a proven “it just works” solution.
- Heterogeneous accelerated computing: For applications with the greatest performance needs, Colfax’s new solution portfolio offers optional integrated, discrete, or on-chip Intel QuickAssist technology accelerates cryptography, public key and compression/decompression functions, freeing up the CPU for computation. This technology is particularly useful for secure server multi-tenancy, encrypted transfers, compressed storage facilitation and data analytics.
“Today’s announcement brings an extensive and beneficial overhaul to the server platform and adds a more scalable and balanced solution for all our customers,” said Gautam Shah, President and CEO at Colfax. “The new platform features architectural enhancements, including a greater core count and larger memory capacity; it also takes advantage of novel technologies such as the latest Intel AVX-512 instruction set for fast floating-point arithmetic, Intel QuickAssist Technology for cryptography and compression, and integrated Intel Omni-Path fabric for clustering.”
For the end user, this means they will be able to get faster application response time, greater throughput and lower costs of energy, rack space, hardware and software licenses. The new architecture is designed for the widest range of application domains, including computing, virtualization, encryption and data analytics. It will have faster arithmetic, higher-bandwidth network connections, and better memory performance. The Intel Xeon Scalable platform will support a new, comprehensive set of adjacent products in storage, accelerators and connectivity.
Over the past 20 years, Colfax has enjoyed a close working relationship with Intel, which allows the company to stay at the forefront of technology changes. Colfax is committed to this relationship and plans to continue this well into the future.
For more information on Intel Xeon scalable processor-based products offered by Colfax, please visit http://www.colfax-intl.com/nd/servers/Xeon-Scalable.aspx
About Colfax International
Colfax International is a global provider of customized workstations, servers, clusters, storage and personal supercomputing solutions. Founded in 1987, Colfax International is based in Sunnyvale, California and is privately held. For more information, please visit www.colfax-intl.com.