SPECwpc Releases New Workstation Benchmark
GAINESVILLE, Va., Nov. 1, 2018 -- The SPEC Workstation Performance Characterization (SPECwpc) group has released SPECworkstation 3, an all-new version of the benchmark formerly known as SPECwpc. SPECworkstation 3 includes new and updated workloads throughout the benchmark suite; it is free of charge to users.
"Since the release of SPECwpc 2.0 in November 2015, we've been analyzing every aspect of workstation performance characterized in the benchmark and making improvements across the board," says Tom Fisher, SPECwpc chair. "We think SPECworkstation 3 represents the computing industry's most comprehensive benchmark for measuring performance based on professional workstation applications."
New features and upgrades
Major new features and upgrades in SPECworkstation 3 include:
- A totally redesigned storage workload based on traces of nearly two-dozen applications.
- Workloads that reflect changes in updated versions of Blender, Handbrake, Python and Luxrender applications.
- GPU-accelerated workloads based on Luxrender, Caffe, and [email protected] applications.
- Refreshed graphics workloads from SPECviewperf 13, including new viewsets representing Autodesk Maya, PTC Creo, energy (oil & gas), and medical applications.
- A more robust GUI and improved results validation and error reporting.
- An option to report results based on subsystems in addition to vertical market segments.
More than 30 workloads containing nearly 140 tests in the SPECworkstation 3 benchmark exercise CPU, graphics, I/O and memory bandwidth. The workloads are divided by application categories that include media and entertainment (3D animation, rendering), product development (CAD/CAM/CAE), life sciences (medical, molecular), financial services, energy (oil and gas), general operations, and GPU compute.
SPECworkstation 3 does not require the full application and associated licensing to be installed on the system under test, simplifying set-up, running and results reporting. It runs under Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit RS3 or later. Results from SPECworkstation 3 cannot be compared to earlier versions of the SPECwpc benchmark.
Free downloads for users
The SPECworkstation 3 benchmark is available immediately to users for free downloading. Vendors of computers and related products and services that are not members of the SPEC Graphics and Workstation Performance Group (SPEC/GWPG) can purchase the benchmark for $5,000. SPEC/GWPG members include AMD, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, Intel, Lenovo and Nvidia. Visit the SPEC website for information on how to join SPEC/GWPG.
Entering its 30th year, SPEC is a non-profit organization that establishes, maintains and endorses standardized benchmarks and tools to evaluate performance and energy consumption for the newest generation of computing systems. Its membership comprises more than 120 leading computer hardware and software vendors, educational institutions, research organizations, and government agencies worldwide.